Powered by
Subscribe to the only car newsletter you’ll ever need

Mercedes-Benz C-Class 2022: Edition C package introduced to satisfy more traditional Benz buyers

 
Zak Adkins
Journalist

With an AMG Line package standard on W206 C-Class in Australia, an ‘Edition C’ variant has been created to appease those who prefer a more subtle Benz


The new-generation W206 Mercedes-Benz C-Class has just launched in Australia with C200 and C300 variants, however a unique-to-Australia Edition C package – derived from the European Avantgarde spec – will also be available as a no-cost option on the C200.

Given that 75 percent of buyers of the previous W205 C200 specified the optional AMG Line package, Mercedes-Benz Australia has made AMG Line standard on the W206. But that leaves 25 percent of C200 customers potentially preferring their three-pointed-star sedan looking a bit more subtle rather than overtly sporty.

Mercedes-Benz C-Class Edition C rear
The Edition C variant is available on both C200 and C300 models

What do you get on the Edition C?

The Edition C package includes Avantgarde interior and exterior trim – meaning a three-pointed-star adorning the grille rather than mounting it on top in a traditional fashion – as well as less overt bumper designs with a reduction in venting size, no-cost metallic paint and 18-inch bi-colour alloy wheels with smaller a front brake-disc diameter.

Inside, the Edition C gets comfort front seats, silver grey diamond-pattern trim with the centre console in gloss black, a leather multi-function steering wheel, velour floor mats, and rear privacy glass.

Buyers can also specify Black Artico, Sienna Brown Artico or Beige Artico interior colour treatments.

Standard features on the new W206 C200 include dual-zone climate control, ambient lighting, electric front seats, keyless start, adaptive high-beam, an 11.9-inch MBUX infotainment screen, a 12.3-inch driver’s display and smartphone integration with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto. 

Mercedes-Benz C-Class Edition C interior
The Edition C interior features comfort seats, gloss black centre console and velour floor mats

Standard safety features on the W206 C-Class include 10 airbags, a 360-degree camera, active distance assist, active parking assist, lane-keep assist, speed-limit assist and a tyre pressure warning system. 

The new-generation C-Class also receives the driving assistance package as standard which includes active blind-spot assist, active brake assist with cross traffic function, active emergency stop assist, lane-change assist and lane-keep assist, steering assist, evasive steering assist and traffic sign recognition. 

C-Class powertrains for 2022

The C200 version of the W206 C-Class is powered by a new mild-hybrid 1.5-litre turbo-petrol four-cylinder engine that produces 150kW of power and 300Nm of torque, tied to a nine-speed automatic transmission. 

Mercedes-Benz C-Class Edition C front end
The C-Class Edition C will either be powered by a 1.5 or 2.0-litre turbo-petrol engine

The more powerful C300 utilises a larger 2.0-litre turbo-petrol four-cylinder engine with a 48-volt mild-hybrid system that produces 190kW/400Nm

These launch variants are both rear-wheel drive, however ‘4Matic’ all-wheel-drive models are expected to follow in time – very likely when the W206 AMG range arrives. 

When will the AMG models return?

The good news is that AMG variants of the W206 C-Class will return in time and will likely include both C43 and C63 variants. The bad news is that the 4.0-litre twin-turbo V8 found in the outgoing C63 S will not continue. 

Mercedes-AMG GT 63 S 4 Door E Performance engine
We will miss the 4.0-litre twin-turbo V8 but good stuff is on the way

Instead, a new hybrid turbocharged four-cylinder engine will take its place. Don’t fret too much though, because this new-generation powertrain is expected to be more powerful and much more efficient than the outgoing engine. 

The W206 Mercedes-Benz C-Class is now on sale in Australia. 

Mercedes-Benz C-Class: prices in Australia

All prices listed are before on-road costs.

  • C200 sedan: $78,900
  • C300 sedan: $90,400