Powered by
Subscribe to the only car newsletter you’ll ever need

Nissan to bring 19 new EVs to global market by 2030 as part of strategy acceleration efforts


The Japanese automaker wants to have 98 percent of its cars sold in Europe to be electric by 2026 

Nissan has announced it will accelerate its 2030 electrification strategy globally, boosting the number of electric vehicles it will build from 23 to 27 different models by the end of the decade. 

Fifteen dedicated electric cars were planned by Nissan to be produced by 2030, however this number has since been lifted to 19 dedicated EVs. 

In revised targets, the Japanese carmaker aims to make 98 percent of its cars sold in Europe to be electric by 2026.

2023 Nissan Ariya driving bridge shot from above
The Nissan Ariya is sold in other markets but not Australia

However, Nissan and its Infiniti arm are targeting “more than 55 percent” of an “electrification mix” by 2030 for all vehicles sold globally, meaning that the remaining 45 percent of cars sold by Nissan will remain ICE powered. 

Nissan, along with companies such as Toyota, have been slower on their uptake of electric vehicles globally. 

Nissan’s 2030 Ambition targets carbon neutrality and zero-emission vehicles by 2050, rather than other manufacturers’ 2026 or 2030 ICE-powered cut off. 

2023 Nissan Ariya front 3/4 static outside
Nissan plans to bring 19 EVs to market by 2030

Do we know what EVs are coming from Nissan?

Nissan is staying pretty quiet about their electric vehicle plans, however the brand does currently produce the Ariya electric SUV for markets outside of Australia. 

Chasing Cars reported six months ago that the Ariya could come to Australia, however local emissions laws and legislation have restricted it from being sold here.

2023 Nissan X-Trail Ti-L E-Power rear 3/4 driving
The Nissan X-Trail e-Power hybrid is one of two hybrids offered by Nissan in Australia

The Ariya was revealed in 2020 and since then the model has seen demand outstrip supply in countries such as Europe, the United Kingdom and parts of the United States. 

What does Nissan offer in terms of electrification here in Australia?

The Nissan Leaf is the only electric car currently offered by Nissan here in Australia. 

The Nissan Leaf is the only electric car offered by Nissan in Australia

The model’s relatively small electric driving range of 270km (or up to 385km with the e+ variant) and steep entry price of $50,990 (up to $61,490 before on-road costs for the flagship e+) means that more affordable options from companies like BYD and MG have pushed the Leaf to the side.

However, Nissan Australia also sells hybrid versions of both the X-Trail and Qashqai SUVs using its relatively new e-power electric technology.